Fwd: NCSG vote

nhklein nhklein at GMX.NET
Wed Aug 31 06:31:01 CEST 2011

Hi Robin,

what do you mean with "democracy generally"? You mean the USA?

The first free elections in Cambodia after decades of  turmoil were held
in 1993, organized the the United Nations Transitional Authority in
Cambodia. But voter turnout remains high, in spite of a lot of logistic
difficulties. Have a look:

1993 -- 86.8%, 1998 -- 93.7%, 2003 -- 83.2%, 2008 - 75.2%

It was a big surprise in the media here that "the great democracy of the
USA" had a president elected with 44% voter participation (if I remember
the figure correctly for a Bush election).

I agree, "Low voter turn-out is not a problem that is unique to NCSG" -
so what is it then?

And I agree again: that is what we have to figure out - now, after the
struggled to draft the charter, then for the vote, and now the charter
accepted, I hope we can do this more.

Norbert

nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia