Fwd: NCSG vote

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 04:33:23 CEST 2011

It strike me, to the contrary, that we should have had a much higher
turnout than we eventually did. I thought the checking-in was a great
idea/system, although i concede i was a little bit puzzled by the
check-in mail when i first got it.

The fact that a significant proportion of people would respond to a
"check-in" and not a "vote", while the latter is considerably more
eye-catching a term, was not something i considered probable. Especially
given that they were sent out in such a short time span.

I'm afraid I have no theory as to what could have happened, except maybe
for the one that points to misunderstanding of voting methodology (?and
subsequent blindness to repeated step-by-step instructions as to how to
proceed?).

Perhaps we could send out an anonymized survey to everyone that
checked-in but did not vote, in order to glean some info as to the
reasons it went out like that. Here's a few scenario that may account
for some people's no-show:

-- didn't realize that not voting was voting no and wanted to refrain
from voting for some reason
-- realized that not voting was voting no but still preferred that way
of saying no despite Timothe's well thought out plea to the contrary
-- didn't read their NCSG emails with attention or at all during the
critical period
-- couldn't understand how to vote

Nicolas