Fwd: NCSG vote

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Aug 31 00:12:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

First thanks to all who are thanking me.  I must admit I am very relieved and I am not sure what I would have done if it had not passed.  It has been a slog.

On the suggestion made by Ron:

1. I do not beleive there is any greater guarantee that people return physical mail (p-mail?).  I know I open very little of it, and what I open is mostly once every few months when I need to separate the shredder items from the straight into recycle items. I almost never send things in, including ballots for all the thingies I belong to by virtue of having made a contribution tor even having joined, e.g. ACM and IEEE.

2. Getting verifiable email addresses is a challenge.  Getting verified p-mail addresses is beyond what  I would want to contemplate.

3. not all members necessarily live in places where doing non commercial activities is approved of.  Some may need to have a online presence.

4. the Charter we just accepted says:

> All NCSG votes will be held using an online voting system to be determined, approved and supervised by the NCSG-EC.

So we would need a charter amendment process to do this.

But we do need to do something to ensure greater participation.

Cheers,

a.