Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Tue Apr 26 22:30:28 CEST 2011

We had a concise meeting today, with not much of substance on the GNSO
Council agenda. As participants joined the call over time, we did not
start a recording.

On motions, we recommended YES votes on all three:
1. Motion to terminate the Policy Process Steering Committee
2. WHOIS Motion  - defer consideration of "registrant identification
study", approve the amended Privacy and Proxy “Abuse” study, and proceed
with Privacy and Proxy “Relay and Reveal” pre-study survey.
3. MOTION RE: PUBLIC COMMENTS ON GLOBAL OUTREACH RECOMMENDATIONS
<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Motions+28+April+2011>

other items of discussion

* Singapore Meeting.
** How are we progressing toward meeting with the GAC to share thoughts
and consensus points on issues of the public interest? Many of us were
interested in joining this discussion.

** Meeting workshops: NCSG would like to be more involved with
suggesting topics and panelists for the Singapore Meeting's general
issue workshops, particularly the perpetual "Abuse of the DNS" workshop.
Robin suggested issues of government seizure of domains at the registry.

* UDRP review. Wendy described ongoing planning for a webinar with UDRP
providers and a few selected commentators. Wendy and Mary have
recommended academic participants.  NCSG should be prepared to add
commentary when this public event takes place, May 10.  Konstantinos
expressed interest in joining when the process is opened beyond GNSO
Council.

* New GTLD guidebook comments. Konstantinos will recirculate his on
trademark/rights protection; others should please share ideas.

* Ron Wickersham gave an update on PEDNR (Post-Expiration Domain Name
Renewal). The group's draft report has an 8-day renewal grace period,
which the Registrars are unwilling to discuss further, even though many
informally give longer to registrants who neglect to renew.  We should
get these comments into the report and support the concerns when the
report comes before Council.

Thanks!
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
Fellow, Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy