Cybersquatting and individuals

Timothe Litt litt at ACM.ORG
Tue Apr 5 21:41:19 CEST 2011

Nicolas,

I took your domain tasting suggestion differently; a time delay could make
it more expensive for the squatter as it ties up his money.  Of course they
are likely to just pass increased expenses on to the customer.  Which is
what leads me to some sort of "is it productively used?" test.  If the
default webpage, whois, or any other webpage says "for sale", I presume
non-use.  However, the absence of a public website does not imply non-use.
(E.g. mine requires X.509 client authentication; others may be FTP only or
VPN hubs or routers or embedded systems...)

The US law (15 usc 1129) isn't perfect - but it protects some individuals.
And it's not very wordy or complicated.  At a minimum, why shouldn't ICANN
have an analogous provision in its UDRP?  Yes, I'm sure it would get wordier
and more complicated, but it does seem a reasonable start.

I don't see that enlarging the TLD space helps; it just moves the problem.
And current TLD pricing is WAY out of the league of individuals, so it moves
disputes to an even more expensive place.

Certainly hard cases make bad law - and as I said, I don't necessarily want
a special interest law for my case.

But the current situation is skewed such that commercial interests (in this
case including non-profit corporations and other trademark owners) have
pretty powerful rights, and individual consumers have none.

I suspect that under current doctrine, I could have been using (e.g.)
"LittFamilyNetworkServices.com.uk" for 20 years, and tomorrow someone could
register a trademark "Litt Family Network Services", put up a $10 website
that sells photos of worms to meet the commercial use test - and forcibly
take my domain name.  Then I get blackmailed to get it back; the next
country with cheap tradmark registration's squatter does the same thing.
Repeat forever.  And even though I'm just an individual, I have hundreds of
people on personal mailing lists and X.509 certificates that rely on my
name.  So the burden of changing is non-trivial in both time and money.  But
we currently agree with the ICANN policy that "trademarks are the only thing
of value; if you have one, you win."

We claim to represent individual consumers as part of the non-commercial
user constituency.  We have put considerable effort into ensuring that our
trademark owners have rights.  Even though it's a hard problem, we owe
individual consumers the same consideration.

Maybe part of the solution is "first productive (and sustained) use".  Maybe
(as I've suggested in the past), there need to be TLDs where trademark
rights don't have precedence.  (A friend of mine in France had a dog named
'Pepsi' - and said the derivation had nothing to do with a certain soft
drink...)

Maybe these aren't the best starting points.  But there has to be a way for
individuals to have some IP rights in their domain name(s).

I know I'm not offering a full solution - but some sort of "productive use"
test does seem like a reasonable attack vector on the cybersquatting problem
that all DNS consumers - commercial and non-commercial - could support.

Here's the text of the US law from the URL I quoted:

ยง1129. Cyberpiracy protections for individuals
(1) In general.
(A) Civil liability. Any person who registers a domain name that consists of
the name of another living person, or a name substantially and confusingly
similar thereto, without that person's consent, with the specific intent to
profit from such name by selling the domain name for financial gain to that
person or any third party, shall be liable in a civil action by such person.
(B) Exception. A person who in good faith registers a domain name consisting
of the name of another living person, or a name substantially and
confusingly similar thereto, shall not be liable under this paragraph if
such name is used in, affiliated with, or related to a work of authorship
protected under title 17, United States Code, including a work made for hire
as defined in section 101 of title 17, United States Code, and if the person
registering the domain name is the copyright owner or licensee of the work,
the person intends to sell the domain name in conjunction with the lawful
exploitation of the work, and such registration is not prohibited by a
contract between the registrant and the named person. The exception under
this subparagraph shall apply only to a civil action brought under paragraph
(1) and shall in no manner limit the protections afforded under the
Trademark Act of 1946 (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) or other provision of Federal
or State law.
(2) Remedies. In any civil action brought under paragraph (1), a court may
award injunctive relief, including the forfeiture or cancellation of the
domain name or the transfer of the domain name to the plaintiff. The court
may also, in its discretion, award costs and attorneys fees to the
prevailing party.
(3) Definition. In this subsection, the term "domain name" has the meaning
given that term in section 45 of the Trademark Act of 1946 (15 U.S.C. 1127).
(4) Effective date. This subsection shall apply to domain names registered
on or after the date of the enactment of this Act [enacted Nov. 29, 1999].

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.