Cybersquatting and individuals

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 5 19:28:11 CEST 2011

Dear Timothe,

I'll have a stab, if only to get things started.

I just can't seem to imagine a scheme where some form of udrp or
international law could institutionalize a proper allocating mechanism
that would both alleviate cybersquatting *and* be true to the principle
that meanings and names ― by virtue of their ambiguity, general-ness,
etc. ― shouldn't be subjected to a property rights regime that
inevitably (and arbitrarily) assigns exclusiveness, even for a specific
use. They say "hard case make bad law", and this is one such example.
But, by all means, if someone sharper than I sees a good law for such a
hard case, i will be happy to consider it.

I haphazardly suggested a few days ago that a time-delay before a domain
name could be resold might take care of some front running/tasting
problems by rendering likely that the legitimate user, placed in a
situation where its ideal (or first-querried) name is registered by a
front-running operation, would decide to create some other domain name
that would suit him rather then wait out for its original query to be
available.

Admittedly, this does not take care of all cybersquatting issues which,
for the purpose of this discussion, i will grant are all instances of
inferior value for a domain name. As you say, working out the details of
the proper market to institutionalize is the larger can of worms.

I would say that part of the solution to cybersquatting-in-general would
be in the perpetual enlargement of the tld space, so that names squatted
need not be recouped but could rather be bypassed. This solution
requires people to imagine a tld space where .com is not the sole
repository of value. In order for an enlargement scheme to have an
impact, the initial enlargement would have to be substantial, and the
policy for further enlargement should also be clear, predictable, and
relatively burden-less so that would-be cybersquatters could see right
away that there is no value to be extracted in the new scheme of things.

I would be tempted to have such a policy accompanied by the combination
of a "first-come, first served" norm that *could* (but needn't) be
implemented by the innovating registrar. If, for example, ACM would run
the .acm, then it could decide if it would hand out the TimotheLitt.acm
to me (or keept it for you).

One of the things that this does is to put the litigation at the level
of the tld (preferably, before it is attributed to a registrar), rather
than at the level of the individual gunning for a specific second or
third-level name.

I'm sure there will be more cognizant people on this list who will have
some other ideas. Also, please feel free to demolish the above.

Take care,

Nicolas