Do we want a meeting with the Board?

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Nov 25 10:54:23 CET 2010

I also agree with this approach. If it is to have a meeting with the Board just for the sake of it, there is really no need. If there are pressuring issues we want to discuss then we definitely should push for a meeting. For me it should not be an issue of whether they were bored the last time - if there are substantive issues that we feel have to be addressed before the Board, then we should go for it.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Law Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA
UK
tel: +44 (0)141 548 4306
http://www.routledgemedia.com/books/The-Current-State-of-Domain-Name-Regulation-isbn9780415477765
Selected publications: http://hq.ssrn.com/submissions/MyPapers.cfm?partid=501038
Website: www.komaitis.org

-----Original Message-----
From: NCSG-NCUC [mailto:NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of William Drake
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:33 AM
To: NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Do we want a meeting with the Board?

Hi

On Nov 25, 2010, at 12:10 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> At our last meeting, they seemed bored with the activity, some worked on their laptops the whole time, one reprimanded us for staff bashing and the chair told us we better have a really good reason for asking to meet with them again.

True

> Robin thinks it is important to meet with them because it is the only time we get to meet with them face to face without the intervening staff filter.  She has a point there.

True

On balance I'd say that unless we have particular pressing points we need to take up with them it'd be better to defer until we do.  Perhaps we'll get a little credit for sparing them that can be cashed later.  It's not just us BTW, they've been looking to cut meetings-for-meetings-sake with other groupings, and even floated in Brussels the idea of canceling the dinner with the GNSO Council. So they're clearly looking to move from an obligatory touching base with everyone model to a what's the most value-adding for us model (didn't they have some private receptions with biz types last time?), and if we insist without any particular reason it might not earn good will.

Best,

Bill