Can ICANN be decentralized?

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 21 00:54:47 CET 2010

Get back in the box.

While we keep using a name resolution system that requires uniqueness,
there is only one way to guarantee its uniqueness, a unique and
central authority (even if administration of some pieces is
decentralized such as the ccTLDs, that by virtue each one is also
unique and part of the overall system).

What we need is a novel and modern name and resource resolution
system, the current DNS has been overused and abused for way too many
things not contemplated in its original design, and the overall system
and ecosystem around it is a mess/chaos under control, plus driving a
several $B industry that exerts a lot of resistance to change.

My .02
Jorge