Can ICANN be decentralized?

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Sat Nov 20 17:21:30 CET 2010

Just wondering.

It seems that ICANN is the point where it is most vulnerable to
government control because it is a point where domains can be removed
from the Internet. I'm wondering if there is a way to decentralize that,
and if it would be a good idea to do so if it could be done.

As I understand the technology, ICANN controls the root servers. Would
it be possible to have multiple root server systems outside of central
control? Or is there a way ICANN can operate outside of US control? To
be able to say NO to US law?

Just trying to think outside the box.