Outreach mumblings

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 11 22:06:28 CET 2010

Avri (re:so you know what you think):

Outreach, activity, charter as well as candidacy [and hence NOPC] seem
awfully interconnected. Just a few thoughts on this, naive as they may
be, as i try to get up to speed with ICANN-GNSO-NCSG politics:

*Re:status update on the charter*

########
[snip]
  3. There is in principle agreement to a two stage process for Constituencies as we described in our charter. I.e.,  apply for candidacy as a constituency and then once activity/contribution is proven, approval as a full Constituency. Two issues fall out of this:

      i. We are still discussing the nature of proof of activity/contribution, but we all accept that a constituency needs to be functional and contributing before it is approved for full status.  The question now is how we define the conditions in a predominantly objective way.  I do not know what their ideas on this are yet, I have proposed things like:

                o  participation in at least two working groups with at least 50% participation for 6 months
                o  submission of at least 4 constituency statements on items under public review
                o  a vibrant culture of cooperative work as demonstrated by mailing lists traffic or other group work mechanisms.
                o contributions in the EC, PC and FC on which they will have observer status as candidate constituencies.

     ii.  There needs to be two ways in which a cConstituency can apply for candidate status:  either through the SOI process as we have defined in our charter or through the Staff administered NOIF process.  It would still be up to the NCSG-EC to review and approve, or not, the applications and the process once accepted as a candidate Constituency would be identical.  The predominant reason, as I understand it for the inclusion of the NOIF is because of outreach and an assumption that ICANN can reach a larger swath of possible applicants.  It also provides a mechanism by which Constituencies can be applied for in any SG using a similar method.
[snip]

########

Wouldn't the most easy and consistently quantifiable way for NCSG-EC of
doing this be the requirement that a certain threshold percentage of
NCSG members be accounted for, either

i) expressing their intentions to join the proposed constituency or,
perhaps,
ii) agreeing with its formation?

This might as well be the most easily exportable and adaptable candidacy
approval procedure. Indeed the percentages need not be absolutely equal
across SGs for a sense of consistency to be achieved. I have no idea
what would be acceptable to all, and I merely submit the idea. Perhaps a
threshold half that of usual thresholds for recall petitions (which vary
in the ranges of 25% to 40%) would have to be met? Depending on the
actual rate of "recruitment" and the size of the [NC]SG, it could also
be a fixed number of members. Or it could combine both: beyond a certain
threshold number of members, the percentage criteria is abandoned for a
fixed number criteria of either i) or ii) ? If the board would insist
for last say on this, as it seems to be the case, it could have the
option to impose a 2/3 ratio of the "candidacy approval threshold",
thereby facilitating somewhat the approval of a contested candidacy. The
board could also perhaps mandate the test in cases when a candidacy
emerges through the [NC]SG SOI process, with the [NC]SG-EC then allowed
to ask for a 2/3 ratio, thereby facilitating somewhat the approval of a
contested candidacy.

While this would be the [NC]SG-EC's as well as the Board's "appeal
methodology" in case of disagreement with the board, it would not be
mandatory passage for candidate constituencies that have clearly passed
whatever bundle of qualitative tests that we can agree with SIC/Board to
set out in the charter. The SG-EC could just approve right away with the
Board staying pat. This goes to fixing representational, funding, and
other types of ICANN-style gerrymandering
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering>. BTW, congrats for linking
seats with NCSG rather than constituencies, this is a must i believe.

Although I have not thought through all the implications "*Re:Incentives
and methods for outreach*", I thought I'd still lay this out here
because it goes with the flow of what I gather to be a most unstoppable
tendency: that of an ever growing political effort at outreach. It's
politically impossible to debate outreach, in my opinion (just like
bottom-up gives the Board a hard time), even though a legitimate case
can be made that under the actual terms of outreach engagement, most of
it may be strategic and politically motivated. Politics *is*
mobilization, after all. Again, apologies if this is naïve newbie
proposals (i just recently joined and I guess I was just officially
"outreached") and if it illuminates my own ignorance more than it does
negotiations.

Rosemary : Canada has similar *levies *to facilitate [citizen]
non-commercial participation in telecom regulatory politics.

Nicolas