SPAM-LOW: Re: NPOC Q&A Document

Ron Wickersham rjw at ITSMYINTERNET.ORG
Wed Nov 10 21:54:52 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Rosemary Sinclair wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I think we have a real problem...
>
> Our Charter describes Constituencies at 2.3 (below) but it seems we are arguing against even the possibility of a Constituency within NCSG????
>

> Cheers
>
> Rosemary

hi Rosemary,

may i direct you to one of the paragraphs within 2.3 you quoted below?

> 2.3 Constituencies
> Constituencies are the means by which NCSG members with similar concerns and interest can work together on the GNSO policy process. Constituencies will be eligible for representation on all NCSG committees. Constituencies do not participate in membership voting which includes, inter alia, GNSO Council Representatives or the NCSG Chair. In order to be recognized as a Constituency with full status, there is a two stage process:
>
> Approval as a Candidate Constituency
> Approval as a Full Status Constituency
>
> 2.3.1 Becoming a Candidate Constituency
> There are 2 methods by which the application to become a Candidate Constituency may be initiated:
>
> 10 NCSG members (Organizational or Individual) must sign on to and publish a Statement of Intent to form a Constituency (SOI) indicating the purpose and goals of the Constituency.

this suggests that the Candidate Constituency would already be members of
NCSG, and therefore and therefore known to the other members.   am i correct
in understanding that this is not the method undertaken by the proposed
Candidate Constituency?

> Following the process established by ICANN, a noncommercial group files a Notification to Form a Constituency (NOIF) with the staff member designated to receive such forms.

this suggest that a single noncommercial group files a Notification to Form a
Constiuency with the special ICANN staff member.   does this wording suggest
that a single organization (not an individual) could form such a Constituency?
for instance could the Red Cross (certainly a group of people, with perhaps
more than one individual member of NCSG) by itself be entitled to form a
Constiuency, under the terms of this paragraph?

> etc etc

-ron