NPOC Q&A Document

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Wed Nov 10 04:39:01 CET 2010

At 10:28 AM -0500 9/11/10, Avri Doria wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am not personally advocating for thick WHOIS.  I am in fact
>against it as a matter of personal opinion.
>
>What I am arguing is that the position itself does not make one
>unqualified for NCSG membership.    I again refer to the model of
>the NCSG as a broad tent for differing opinions from the
>non-commercial stakeholders.

	I agree with Avri. The NCSG is, and must be, a broad tent,
because membership is based on organisational structure and goals.
The two organisations within the NPOC that we know of, the American
Red Cross and Association of American Medical Colleges, are clearly
not commercial, and so clearly belong within NCSG.
	Not every non-profit organisation belongs in NCSG (Rosemary
has already nominated ATUG, a NFP with primarily commercial
membership, I would strongly put organisations such as INTA in that
same category and absolutely reject their entry into NCSG - not for
profit and non-commecial are different issues), but there will be
NCSG members whose policy positions do not happen to agree with
current NCUC majority/leadership positions, and we have to have
processes that reflect and embrace that.

	I honestly think these organisations belong within NCUC as
well, despite their policy differences with NCUC majority opinions. I
do appreciate that this makes things difficult for both NCUC
leadership and the organisations in question, but I think that is a
flaw in the Constituency system.

>I do  think, however, that a good debate on the subject of thick
>WHOIS  is a good thing for the NCSG.  In fact I would love to see
>more substantive reasoned  debates on  issues like this on the NCSG
>list.

	Absolutely. It is a complex issue, with legitimate concerns
on both sides. I personally do not favour a thick WHOIS (and any
version of thick WHOIS that has a chilling effect on legitimate free
speech is something I would oppose), but I would like to see solid
policy debate on the issue, and I certainly think NCSG should have
room for a range of opinions on this issue and others.
	Regards
		David