NPOC Q&A Document

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Tue Nov 9 21:04:09 CET 2010

Just curious, Rosemary, does ATUG plan on joining the NPOC?

The IP/TM issues are among the most prominent for the general public
interest position as defended by NCUC/NCSG and ALAC.  If the "grunt" on
"our side" ends up not being on "our" side after all, what's the use of
having that grunt anyway?

It just moves the resource asymmetry *within* our own SG, so it doesn't
get to be expressed higher up in the GNSO hierarchy.

That feels like a Trojan Horse, to me.  It's a way of snuffing out the
real public interest position closer to the source, so the Board has even
less of a chance of hearing its expression.

With all its resources, it seems to me the Red Cross should have what it
needs to address any genuine "fraud" issues in DNS without the overkill of
a maximalist position.  What if the claim of "fraud" is itself fraudulent
(if not in the case of Red Cross, then in other cases)?  Who gets to
decide when claims of "harm" are just "brand name bullying"?

It's always the little guy that gets caught in this crossfire.  The big
guns can protect themselves just fine, so I am not sympathetic to RC's
complaints, per se.  This is not just an "operational" issue, it's an
issue of jurisdiction, process, and power.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.