NPOC Q&A Document

Kimberley Heitman kheitman at KHEITMAN.COM
Tue Nov 9 16:10:14 CET 2010

>Well even if trademarks were the only concern of this newly proposed
>constituency, I would not think that mattered.
>
>The CSG's IPC is a related to Commercial trademark concerns, while a new
>NCSG constituency, all things being equal, would be concerned with the Non
>Commercial aspects of trademarks.  (not being a trademark expert  i will
>not attempt to distinguish between the two, but it has become apparent even
>to a non lawyer like myself that the two categories of concerns are
>distinct)
>
>I think the primary issues to be considered are not the particular issues
>that group wishes to deal with, but:
>
>- is it composed  non-commercial organizations and individuals, with non
>commercial members
>- does it have a specific non commercial focus on some aspect of ICANN
>issues
>- does it avoid overlap with existing constituencies
>- is it international in scope
>

>a.

Easy to say from the comfort of a democratic country. A thick WHOIS means
death to dissidents in most of the world. I'm astonished that the commercial
IP imperatives of the American Red Cross are set to undermine its
international humanitarian efforts.

Red Cross does not need trademarks - its emblems are legally protected by
other, better, international laws.