Public Comment: Draft Advisory on the Effect of Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) Subsection 3.7.7.3]

Rebecca MacKinnon rebecca.mackinnon at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 18 17:17:37 CEST 2010

It's worth pointing out that this ties in to the broader issue of
intermediary liability in general, for ISPs, social networking platforms,
web hosts, etc., and the chilling effects that intermediary liability can
have on speech.

A useful policy paper on the subject (as relates to ISPs and web platforms,
not domains) was recently released by the Center for Democracy and
Technology:
http://www.cdt.org/files/pdfs/CDT-Intermediary%20Liability_%282010%29.pdf

The Global Network Initiative in a statement last year similarly warned "When
companies are held liable for content uploaded or sent by users, freedom of
expression can suffer. Collaborative efforts should help advance policy
solutions that better protect fundamental rights to expression and access to
information."

Best,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca MacKinnon
Visiting Fellow, Center for Information Technology Policy, Princeton
E-mail: rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com
Blog: http://RConversation.blogs.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rmack
Friendfeed: http://friendfeed.com/rebeccamack