Public Comments Opens Today: Questions to the Community on Accountability and Transparency within ICANN

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed May 19 20:35:11 CEST 2010

Certainly we should file a comment on this important process that is
reviewing ICANN's accountability and transparency mechanisms.  Take a
look at the Initial Questions from the ATRT to the ICANN community.
Then we should draw together the noncommercial members who want to
draft a statement on behalf of the group.  The comment period ends 1
July, but it would be better if we got our comment in earlier in the
process, rather than at the end of the comment period.  Any volunteers?

Thanks,
Robin

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-18may10-en.htm

Public Comments Opens Today: Questions to the Community on
Accountability and Transparency within ICANN

Explanation/Background: In the Affirmation of Commitments (AoC),
ICANN commits to maintain and improve robust mechanisms for public
input, accountability and transparency so as to ensure that the
outcomes of its decision-making will reflect the public interest and
be accountable to all stakeholders. The AoC Accountability and
Transparency Review Team (ATRT) is in the process of analyzing
stakeholder and community input that has been submitted on these
topics prior to the AoC (i.e. comments on Improving Institutional
Confidence, submissions to the NTIA NOI on expiration of the JPA,
etc.). However, the ATRT would also like to understand if there are
new inputs or changes in stakeholder views since the establishment of
the AoC.

The Initial Questions from the ATRT can be found here:  http://
www.icann.org/en/reviews/affirmation/community-questions-18may10-
en.pdf [PDF, 225 KB]

The Accountability and Transparency Review Team web space with other
reference materials can be found here: http://www.icann.org/en/
reviews/affirmation/activities-1-en.htm

The Process Going Forward:

At the end of this Public Comment period, the ATRT will review the
comments submitted and prepare a summary analysis of the various
submissions. The ATRT will use them as both benchmarking of post AoC
community view and to inform the specific methodologies and processes
the ATRT will be conducting between now and December 2010.

Deadline and How to Submit Comments:

The ATRT is opening a 45-day public comment, from 18th May through 1
July 2010, and invites community comments and responses to these
questions.

The formal Public Comment Forum Box is located here: http://
www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-201007-en.htm#atrt

To Submit Comment: atrt-questions-2010 at icann.org

To View Comments:  http://forum.icann.org/lists/atrt-questions-2010/

Staff Responsible: Alice Jansen, ICANN Assistant, Organizational
Review alice.jansen at icann.org

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org