Local cost related to running a TLD

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 18 18:11:10 CET 2010

Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback! it is terrific to see the different backgrounds
of NCSG/NCUC
members :)

if I took some examples of prospective applicants, I observed that many of
them aren't newcomer to ICANN community and many of them already or are
managing registries.
for example for dotarab project, it is supported by some Arab ccTLDs
(with endorsement of Arab league) , I guess that they don't have to invest a
lot from the scratch and have already the technical knowledge and
experience. they even tested IDN since a while and are ready (some of them
applied for IDN ccTLD)
for dotparis project, it is back by Paris city with the technical support as
back registry , Afnic (the manager of .fr) and Indom (an accredited
registrar).

For the costs as defined by Tan Tin, I am wondering if the bandwidth is
still a barrier: first not all developing countries have the same issues,
secondly the bandwidth issue is getting obsolete in many areas (but still
unfortunately present in other).

I think that all incurred cost are because the requirements from ICANN
especially for security matter like the High security TLD, DNSSec or the
almost 5millions dollars DNS-CERT. I attended the meeting about the latter
and all ccTLD were opposed against it as ICANN ask for funding (a volunteer
donation from African countries of 3% from their income)

I agree with Avri that as NCSG/NCUC we should propose a paper to ICANN (it
will be terrific and the first unpaid economic study for ICANN :) ):
- to show that cost for running registry regarding appropriate requirement
is really low and don't correspond to what Kurt is arguing as cost-recovery
etc
- to recommend some funding channels for applicants from developing
countries especially for those toward communities and having strong public
interest

Rafik