PCC meeting audio

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 10 07:08:24 CET 2010

Hi Rafik,

I really wish the recording captured the meeting from its start and
everyone spoke to the mic. everyone would have had a chance to listen
in into the conversation first hand. I wonder how the 'official'
report of this meeting will look like?

Anyway, it was great to attend given our "welcoming to NCSG"
recommendation on the last para of our comments.

I recall questions asked primarily focussed on defending their
business-interests linkages, saying were involved with "non-profits."
I believe my responses on record ( supported by two others in the
room) explain "non-profit" is not a sufficiently qualifying criteria.
Urged for a critical look at those organisations' members primary
interests giving an example of local TESPOK ".. is a professional,
non-profit organization representing the interests of
Telecommunication service providers in Kenya" http://www.tespok.or.ke/

Given their admission of close relationship with telcos, I explained
that was NOT accusing them of receiving money form such groups. But I
pointed out a local case where I had been approached on a US$ 250,000
'users rights project' by local representatives of similar
'non-profit' group, which I decline to participate on because their
its 'ownership' condition that I found wanting. i.e. ICT Consumers
Association of Kenya was to be involved but they were to be the
overall lead.

Regards NOT involving us, they said that they had created a space on
their website for NCSG to populate.

And that before approving CC - that the Board had committed resources
with the hope that the different stakeholders would 'talk to each
other' thus at Seoul and now Nairobi.

What was NEVER asked was about geo-diversity. I did not raise the matter.

Generally regards consumers participation at ICANN, Staff reported
that the Board's intention was to 're-energize NCSG' (following SIC
recommendations)

Maybe I we should look for amplifiers to hear what others said in the
background?

regards,

Alex