"to develop a sustainable approach to applicants in applying for and operating new gTLDs"

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sun Mar 21 08:21:20 CET 2010

(I did shorten - and re-focus - the Subject line)

Terry L Davis, P.E. wrote:
> Rafik
>
> I agree that any registry can be run cheaper but there is a basic set of
> obligations to be met by a registry.
That is the whole point: to get it more transparent what these
obligations and their costs really are. I created and ran a ccTLD for
some years - nobody told me that I am not fulfilling that "basic set of
obligations" and I am just completely surprised whenever I see the US$$$
figures discussed now - for a gTLD application, and for running a
registry. Why do we need a "Same size fits all" system?

>   My main point is that "dis-advantaged
> entities" that may want a TLD will exist in all nations.
>
> To me, if we consider changing the rules, then we would have to treat all
> "dis-advantaged entities" equally regardless of location.
>
> Defining a "dis-advantaged entities" will be challenging as in even
> developing regions, there are many multi-national entities that are clearly
> not disadvantaged.

I do not think it is mainly a question of "dis-advantaged entities" - it
is a question of (1) how the "basic set of obligations" is defined, and
(2) in which economic context. If it is expensive to fulfill the
obligations in Japan and the USA, that does not prove they cannot be
fulfilled in another context.

Norbert

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

This is the latest weekly editorial of the Mirror:

The Passing of the Anti-Corruption Law, and Planned Changes in Telecommunications
Sunday, 14.3.2010

http://tinyurl.com/yavafd3
(to read it, click on the line above.)

And here is something new every day: