I just created a TLD for $0 in 30 minutes

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Fri Mar 19 12:53:33 CET 2010

hi,

On 19 Mar 2010, at 02:36, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:

> ould you point me in the guide where you can get a .GTLD without
> requiring to follow the traditional registrar rules?

There isn't one.

This topic is a main subtheme in the whole vertical integration discussions and will be the main subject of the vertical Integration Working Group currently being formed.

It is what is behind the desire by many to find a way where a small new gTLD can sell it own names under certain conditions.

Some discussion can be found in:

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/registry-registrar-separation-vertical-integration-options-salop-wright-28jan10-en.pdf

though this paper does assume that there is both a registrar and a registries and does not consider the case of a small registry selling its names itself (at least not from my reading).  In fact one can assume that unlike ccTLDs whee there is no requirement for a separate registrar, in any agreement reached on new gTLD the seller will need to be a registered 'registrar' following the conditions set in the RAA (registrar accreditation agreement)

You will also find some discussion in the proposed registry contract section 2.9:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-agreement-specs-clean-04oct09-en.pdf

(BTW: I have been told that this is worth reviewing for lots of reasons - and that those among us who are contract savvy could find lots f things to comment on in this document)

a.