please send comments on this draft RE: Transparency

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Thu Mar 11 12:00:50 CET 2010

All,

I understand you may be meeting with ALAC about this now; so my comments
are below in red.

Debbie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For many meetings now,  the topic of Staff Briefing to the Board and
Transparency has been on the table. - I agree with Mary's comments below
about this leading sentence.

While understanding that there indeed some briefings that should remain
confidential between the Board and the Staff especially those within its
fiduciary capacities and those encumbered by personal privacy
consideration, there are also many issues that require transparency.

Within the categories that require transparency there are two separate
types of issues.

The first type is are briefings that concern an Advisory Committee or a
Supporting Organization.  In the case of this type of briefing, it is
not appropriate for the Staff to be making unverified claims about and
AC or SO without the knowledge of that AC and SO.  Without AC or SO
verification of the contents of a briefing, the Board is left making its
evaluation based on rumor and may make decisions based on erroneous
information.

The second type of briefing is are those that concern the policy work
for which the SOs are responsible and on which the ACs must advise.  For
the Board to be makeing policy decisions based on information that has
not been reviewed by the community seems contrary to the principle of
transparency and equal access that are at the core constitutes gaming of
the bottom up policy process and could gives one member of the
community, the paid staff and undue advantage over the other
participants in the community.

We request that the Board change its policy so that the briefing of the
types discussed above be made available to the correct audience; the
first type being made available to the SO or AC in question and the
second type be made available to the community.

After the policy has been received we request that recent briefings that
have contributed to various decisions also be released.

Debra Y. Hughes l Senior Counsel
American Red Cross

Office of the General Counsel
2025 E Street, NW