curious note on nairobi and brussels...

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Sun Jul 4 18:41:25 CEST 2010

On 4 Jul 2010, at 10:59, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> in Brussels, one of us had its bag forcefully stolen at the central train station. Nothing of this sort happened in Kenya.

While i freely acknowledge that all major train stations  everywhere in Europe and the US are places where stuff gets ripped off, i am wondering how many of us travelled freely on public transportation in Nairobi.  Not that i know that anything would have happened, but it seems necessary to know this  to actually make a comparison.  In Brussels we almost all went through the central train station.  In Nairobi, i would be surprised if more than 1% did.  Most of us remained most of the time inside the cacoon built for us at great expense by the Kenyan government and travelled everywhere by taxi or private driver.  In Brussels we walked the streets at all hours in all states of inebriation and traveled by public transportation.

does it really compare?

a.