Fwd: Community Comment Invited on Revised Proposal To Form A New GNSO Consumers Constituency 22 January to 13 February 2010

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Jan 25 03:11:08 CET 2010

I'm sure the consumer groups who are members of NCSG would want to
weigh in on this proposal to create a consumer constituency.   Too
bad none have been included in this staff initiative so far.

Best,
Robin

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Date: January 24, 2010 10:09:38 AM PST
> To: Avri Doria <avri at ACM.ORG>, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>,
> "rosemary.sinclair at atug.org.au" <rosemary.sinclair at atug.org.au>
> Cc: Glen de Saint Géry <gnso-secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: FW: Community Comment Invited on Revised Proposal To Form
> A New GNSO Consumers Constituency 22 January to 13 February 2010
>
> Dear Avri, Robin and Rosemary,
>
> FYI
> Thanks
> Glen
>
> Community Comment Invited on Revised Proposal To Form A New GNSO
> Consumers Constituency
> Please note and take some time to submit comments before 13
> February 2010!
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-22jan10-en.htm
> العربية 中文 English Français Español Русский
> 日本語 Deutsch Português 한국어 Italiano

> The ongoing GNSO Improvements process has created significant
> community interest in the formation of new GNSO constituencies. One
> of those proposals is for a new Consumers Constituency. Proponents
> of the Consumers Constituency originally submitted a New
> Constituency Petition and Charter to the ICANN Board on 14 April
> 2009. A revised version of the proposal, responding to several
> Board inquiries was submitted to the Board on 15 September 2009.
>
> The Structural Improvements Committee of the ICANN Board has
> directed the Staff to post the revised (15 September) version of
> the proposed Consumers Constituency Charter for community review
> and comment. All members of the ICANN community and the public are
> now invited to review the petition and charter of the Consumers
> Constituency and share comments with the Board through 13 February
> 2009.
>
> Background and Explanation:
>
> In June 2008, the Board of Directors endorsed a series of
> recommendations on how to improve the GNSO's structures and
> operations. One of the significant drivers of those recommendations
> was an interest in maximizing participation in the GNSO and its
> policy development processes. Among the various recommendations
> endorsed by the Board was that ICANN take steps to clarify and
> promote the option to self-form new constituencies.
>
> The ICANN Bylaws provide that any group of individuals or entities
> may petition the Board for recognition as a new or separate
> constituency, in accordance with Section 5(4) of Article X. Such a
> petition must explain (1) why "the addition of such a Constituency
> will improve the ability of the GNSO to carry out its policy-
> development responsibilities" and (2) why "the proposed new
> Constituency would adequately represent, on a global basis, the
> stakeholders it seeks to represent." Despite those Bylaw
> provisions, it has been many years since the organization has had
> formal requests for any new GNSO constituencies. Since the Board
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org