[ncsg-policy] Re: How's this (edited motion on VI)

Rosemary Sinclair rosemary.sinclair at ATUG.ORG.AU
Sat Jan 23 20:26:23 CET 2010

I think there shd be a PDP initiated

Looking at all issues in one process

Until things change....they stay as they are....

Cheers

Rosemary
Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mary Wong" <mwong at PIERCELAW.EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:15:30
To: <NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Re: [ncsg-policy] Re:  How's this (edited motion on VI)

Thanks, Avri and Milton. In order for the Councillors to come to a consensus about where to go from here in relation to proposing friendly amendments to the motion currently on the table, it would be helpful if members knowledgeable about vertical integration or the Registry-Registrar joint marketing issues could weigh in on:

1. Whether a PDP should be initiated at this time
2. If so, whether it should be a single (per Avri) or separate (per Milton) PDP (one analyzing long-term effects of "true" vertical integration, the other looking at the "short term" joint marketing issue (the DAG v3 proposal).

Thanks,
Mary

>>> Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> 01/23/10 5:12 AM >>>
Hi,

In case it is not obvious i think separating this issue into 2 PDPS is a really bad idea. Twice the work, twice the bureaucracy for a topic that is essentially interrelated.

As I stated in my previous message, i think that the GNSO can be constrained to do the whole thing in a short time - the time defined in the bylaws.

And before anyone accuses me, yet again of_only_ being interested in the process issue of who makes policy, the community and GNSO, or the staff under the guise of implementation:

While i consider that issue fundamental, i also consider fundamental that new gTLDs not be blocked because they cannot get proper marketing from the existing registrars and I can imagine several cases in which this might happen. I am just not convinced that the implementation solution produced by the Staff is the best way to do this.

a.