AoC Accountability and Transparency Review Team selections

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Feb 12 22:44:35 CET 2010

Thanks to Bill and Mary for this helpful information.

I agree that we should advocate for maintaining the diversity
requirements on principal, even if the other SG's won't go along with
them in the end.

I also agree that a preclusion against councilors on the review team
seems a bit harsh and reactive to encode in the charter as a rule.
Although I agree we'd likely want to choose someone who isn't a
councilor - simply for workload issues, we don't need a rule
forbidding us from making the choice of a councilor on the review team.

I'd like to encourage NCSG members to consider applying for
membership on this team.  It is important  to get the non-commercial
perspective into the Openness and Accountability Review Team so we
should have a number of good candidates to provide to the GNSO and to
choose from ourselves.

On how to select the NCSG candidates (at least 1 primary and 2
alternates?)   Given the practical realities of holding a global
online election in less than a week, a better option for selecting
these candidates may be for the NCSG/NCUC Executive Committees and
GNSO Councilors to appoint the candidates to the GNSO based upon who
applies for the Review Team via NCSG.   Do we know by when NCSG
candidates would need to throw their hat in the ring?

Thanks,
Robin

On Feb 11, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Mary Wong wrote:

> Thanks for this, Bill - it's not your fault the process and details
> are so arcane and torturous!
>
> I see no reason why the diversity requirements/language should be
> struck. It's important - especially as ICANN goes into the first
> AoC review phase - to demonstrate both the need for as well as the
> existence (as far as possible) of diverse representation in the
> ICANN community.
>
> Equally I agree that Councillors should not be precluded in
> principle from being eligible for a Review Team, for the reasons
> you stated.
>
> I too would very much welcome members' opinions on the questions/
> issues raised by Bill before we go into the Council meeting on the
> 18th.
>
> Cheers
> Mary
>
> Mary W S Wong
> Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
> Franklin Pierce Law Center
> Two White Street
> Concord, NH 03301
> USA
> Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
> Phone: 1-603-513-5143
> Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
> Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
> (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584
>

> From:	William Drake <william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH>
> To:	<NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
> Date:	2/11/2010 8:30 AM
> Subject:	Re: AoC Accountability and Transparency Review Team
> selections
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Avri for passing along Chuck's message to SG chairs to get
> this started.  As chair of the council drafting team that assembled
> the proposed process I guess it falls to me to walk through the
> details.  Looong and somewhat complicated message follows, so get
> comfortable...
>
> As members will recall, in December ICANN released an Affirmation
> Reviews Requirements and Implementation processes Draft Proposal
> http://www.icann.org/en/reviews/affirmation/affirmation-reviews-
> draft-proposal-26dec09-en.pdf  that envisioned, inter alia, very
> small review teams carrying out the Affirmation of Commitments
> requirements.  NCUC/SG members expressed concern about the staff
> proposal to limit GNSO participation to one or less representative
> per team, a concern that was shared by other SGs and thus
> incorporated into the council response filed in the public comment
> period http://forum.icann.org/lists/affrev-draft-processes/
> msg00008.html, which we discussed a few weeks back on this list.
> We do not know the answer yet as to how many GNSO reps will be on
> the first review team, for Accountability and Transparency.
> However, there's reason to believe that the number will be raised
> to at least two, and the council has proceeded on that assumption.
>
> ICANN announced its call for applicants http://www.icann.org/en/
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org