WikiLeaks,org domain killed by US everydns.net

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 3 07:03:50 CET 2010

This is what everydns said:

"EveryDNS.net provided domain name system (DNS) services to the
wikileaks.org domain name until 10PM EST, December 2, 2010, when such
services were terminated. As with other users of the EveryDNS.net
network, this service was provided for free. The termination of
services was effected pursuant to, and in accordance with, the
EveryDNS.net Acceptable Use Policy.

More specifically, the services were terminated for violation of the
provision which states that "Member shall not interfere with another
Member's use and enjoyment of the Service or another entity's use and
enjoyment of similar services." The interference at issues arises from
the fact that wikileaks.org has become the target of multiple
distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks. These attacks have, and
future attacks would, threaten the stability of the EveryDNS.net
infrastructure, which enables access to almost 500,000 other websites.

Thus, last night, at approximately 10PM EST, December 1, 2010 a 24
hour termination notification email was sent to the email address
associated with the wikileaks.org account. In addition to this email,
notices were sent to Wikileaks via Twitter and the chat function
available through the wikileaks.org website. Any downtime of the
wikileaks.org website has resulted from its failure to use another
hosted DNS service provider."

IMHO, the folks from Wikileaks were expecting this type of reaction and are
playing with it, very naive DNS setup for such a polemic site.

-J