Replacing DNS

Michael Haffely ncuc at JOLLYROGERS.COM
Thu Dec 2 00:53:59 CET 2010

Trust and integrity of your name resolver - that's the 3000 Kilo elephant in
the room when proposing alternate name resolution systems.  DNS, and by
extension the internet were adopted quickly because of the thought that went
into designing a centrally controlled authority that is "good enough".  The
biggest flaw in security is being addressed with DNSSEC.  (Not to get
offtopic but there are some cool
things<http://www.dnssec.net/why-deploy-dnssec>you can do once you
have DNSSEC running)

Any P2P type distributed name resolution has issues to address and overcome
for success.  First it must be designed to prevent a node from poisoning the
name resolution.  (Company/Individual FOO redirects all name resolution
requests for BAR to BAZ)  It must also scale, be efficient, and be
manageable by some authority that is beholden to some guidelines rules and
laws.

IMO DNS is "Good Enough"

- Mike