DNS Scaling issues

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 28 07:35:56 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed, but I have the impression that it was not as clear for some people that
> the studies/analysis are not yet complete/conclusive and there is
> still work to do.

Hopefully those reporting will stress this fact?

> Another thing and the model from TNO includes something of it, the issue of
> creating additional capacity is not only related to hardware/software/pipes
> upgrade, some of the processes (given that the root zone has been stable and
> growing at a very low pace) do not scale, particularly at IANA, where many
> task are still being done almost manually.
>
> As I said before, big mistake from ICANN is that we should have done all
> these studies and preparatory work before starting with the DAG.

My impression is that post Seoul, ICANN will make far reaching
processes 'methodology' changes also enabling  wider
prior-consultations.. my personal impression though.

> Imagine having almost 10 years headroom to have the infrastructure ready.
>
> But now the recurrent question I've seen and heard several times, is how
> ICANN will select the first 100 new TLDs.

Toss the coin:)

> Signing off for the day, have a great evening over there and please make
> a toast on my behalf in recognition of Avri for her many years of contribution
> as chair of the GNSO.

You deserve it and will do. She has done so much for the Internet Community!