ICANN's proposals on URS and Trademark Clearinghouse

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Oct 22 03:29:54 CEST 2009

Thank you, Konstantinos.  This is very helpful starting point for our
discussion on how to position ourselves going forward.  You've
highlighted some big issues below for us to work through.

Could you please forward White Paper again (or send another link, I'm
not able to access the links below)?

Thanks again!

Best,
Robin

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Konstantinos Komaitis wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Here are some initial thoughts on ICANN's response to the IRT
> proposal, published a little earlier this month. Please bear in
> mind that ICANN is requesting GNSO¹s consensus view on the
> Trademark Clearinghouse and the Uniform Rapid Suspension System
> (URS). These are the views of myself and Kathy Kleiman and a
> reflection of our sense of events. NCUC will be meeting at length
> in Seoul to discuss the issues and develop our position for moving
> forward. To see the new documents, drafted by ICANN staff, please
> go to [http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-proposed-
> procedure-u...] for Uniform Rapid Suspension Service and [http://
> www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-proposed-procedure-t...]
> for Clearinghouse.
>
> First, some great news. The Globally Protected Marks List (GMPL) is
> completely gone (or so it appears at this stage). The NonCommercial
> Users Constituency (NCUC) was against the GPML from the beginning
> and in White Paper, Kathy Kleiman and myself submitted to ICANN
> (https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/new-gtld-overarching-issues/
> at...), we further elaborated on the dangers of proceeding with the
> GPML.
>

> The IP Clearinghouse is now re-named Trademark Clearinghouse. I
> consider this to be a great development. The term 'IP' encompasses
> other rights (patents, copyright, etc) and this is not the role of
> the Clearinghouse ¬ nor should it be. The Clearinghouse is just a
> repository and ICANN was correct in recommending a new, more
> restrictive name, following our White Paper (https://st.icann.org/
> data/workspaces/new-gtld-overarching-issues/at...).
>

> The ICANN proposal did not follow NCUC¹s recommendation for
> regional clearinghouses. This was an important issue for nations
> and for IDNs. One entity cannot know the trademark laws and
> practices of all countries; but regional registries will understand
> the laws and nuances of trademark practice in the countries of
> their region. We expect to see some attention on this issue from
> GAC members at this meeting.
>

> One clear problem of the Trademark Clearinghouse is its creation of
> a new, a very new, right to a global common law mark. A common law
> mark, which is trademark protection although there is no
> registration, is a very unusual right. It exists largely in common
> law countries, such as the UK and US. Very few countries allow
> trademark rights absent trademark registration (e.g., though a
> national Trademark Office) and even those countries with common law
> protection have national trademark registration (which all serious
> trademark registrants will use). The new proposal is problematic in
> that it allows any name written or expressed on a handkerchief, on
> a label, on letterhead to be listed and thus to gain global
> protection – absent any proof of national protection. That's a real
> problem.

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org