Discussion of Cybersafety Constituency

Jeremy Geigle JGeigle at JACKSONWHITELAW.COM
Thu Mar 19 23:52:12 CET 2009

Hear, hear Professor Clifford, your comments are well-taken.

I also agree with the need to look broadly at individual safety online - including identity theft, destruction of resources, child safety, individual choice/control.

Jeremy S. Geigle
President AZFC
JD/MBA

-----Original Message-----
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Ralph D. Clifford
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:49 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Discussion of Cybersafety Constituency

First the background: I am not a member of CP80. I am not a Mormon. I have no
connections to either group of any kind and, before today, I had never heard
of Mr. Yarro. Personally, I don't see pornography as a big problem in society.
Despite this, I am a member of the cybersafety constituency because it is not
the one-issue group that some seem to want to make it; instead, it is a group
of people who are concerned that ICANN's decision-making often ignores issues
of individual safety including such things as identity theft, destruction of
computer resources, etc. And yes, some others in the group are concerned with
the distribution of porn.

Second, a comment: Today's "discussion" has been outrageous. The only thing it
reminds me of are the flame wars that used to erupt on Usenet (although no one
has called someone else a Nazi, yet, just implied it). Unfortunately, that
seems to be the norm in this discussion group. Almost always, ideas are not
exchanged; accusations of conspiracy are. This is too bad as it certainly
discourages the openness that ICANN allegedly wants.

--
Ralph D. Clifford
Professor of Law