Discussion of Cybersafety Constituency

Ralph D. Clifford rclifford at SNESL.EDU
Thu Mar 19 22:48:52 CET 2009

First the background: I am not a member of CP80. I am not a Mormon. I have no
connections to either group of any kind and, before today, I had never heard
of Mr. Yarro. Personally, I don't see pornography as a big problem in society.
Despite this, I am a member of the cybersafety constituency because it is not
the one-issue group that some seem to want to make it; instead, it is a group
of people who are concerned that ICANN's decision-making often ignores issues
of individual safety including such things as identity theft, destruction of
computer resources, etc. And yes, some others in the group are concerned with
the distribution of porn.

Second, a comment: Today's "discussion" has been outrageous. The only thing it
reminds me of are the flame wars that used to erupt on Usenet (although no one
has called someone else a Nazi, yet, just implied it). Unfortunately, that
seems to be the norm in this discussion group. Almost always, ideas are not
exchanged; accusations of conspiracy are. This is too bad as it certainly
discourages the openness that ICANN allegedly wants.

--
Ralph D. Clifford
Professor of Law