vertical separation of registries and registrars

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Jul 9 14:46:28 CEST 2009

Fouad
These are interesting comments about the situation in Pakistan. One important fact which you may not be aware of is that ICANN has very little authority over the ccTLDs business practices and models. With gTLDs it has almost complete contractual governance and can even take away the assignment after a period of time; but because of "national sovereignty" claims most ccTLDs have very limited contracts with ICANN. Basically the contracts are little more than a form of mutual recognition. ICANN does not impose vertical separation of registry and registrar on ccTLDs, it does not cap their rates, and it cannot remove an incompetent operator (like the .pk seems to be) unless someone in Pakistan's government asks it to.

--MM