Motion on the IRT?

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Fri Jul 24 11:29:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

Moving this from the EC to the members list as it may be of broader
interest.  I don't see anything in the thread below that is unsuitable
for wider distribution, my apologies to whomever if they think that's
a misjudgment.

  I've raised this bilaterally with a few people who expressed
interest but it's never percolated out into the broader ideasphere, so
here goes.

It has been suggested that NCUC councilors could propose a motion to
launch a PDP on the IRT recommendations, since this is a policy
decision, not an "implementation," and open and pluralistic GNSO
processes were bypassed by the IPC's swank traveling road show.  I can
see the benefit of pursuing this approach from the standpoints of a)
building healthy institutional practices in ICANN and b) slowing down
the movement toward adoption of lousy policy.  On the other hand,
there might be a tactical trade-off.  Were a motion to be adopted (not
clear who'd support it) it would turn the discussion into another
turgid GNSO bureaucratic exercise.  To the extent that NCUC and ALAC
have been able to point to the illegitimacy of the process being
followed as well as the crap outputs in order to mobilize attention,
engagement and support, "nomalizing" the thing might turn down the
heat, nix the press coverage, and dampen some of the enthusiasm that's
worked to the benefit of cs at icann.

What do people think?  Should we put a motion to the next council
meeting?  Kathy seems to think yes, below...

I believe the next council call is Aug. 13, so we'd have to get it in
and feel out the possible support in early Aug.

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance