ICANN is pricing out small and medium sized business in new gtlds says the NYT website

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Thu Jul 16 02:16:34 CEST 2009

It's an interesting article... and one that gets many things right. But
not a critical detail about the IP Clearinghouse. We/NCUC did object
strongly to the IP Clearinghouse and have since the start. It is outside
the scope and mission of ICANN, a technical body, to run a global,
unprecedented and undefined intellectual property rights database.
Konstantinos and I have done a lot on work on this, and on our concerns
for how easily it can misused.

The solution is simple: have a few such Clearinghouses run
**privately**. A Clearinghouse in each major region will understand the
trademark laws of the countries (and their territorial and other limits)
and easily operate in the language and scripts of the regional
countries. Some private companies agreed with me (and approached me
after my speech).

But the NY Times reporter stayed late at lunch, and came in after my
speech and its opposition to the IP Clearinghouse - I saw him slip in a
little later :-).
Best,
Kathy