ENC: [gnso-whois-dt] Updated draft "working defintions" for WHOIS and cross-references to study hypotheses attached

Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza Carlos.Souza at FGV.BR
Sat Jan 10 21:59:29 CET 2009

Dear NCUCers:

Please find attached the updated documents regarding the working definitions for the WHOIS Hypotheses Studies. In my email to the list of January 7th I have sent the document without the changes made during our GNSO call on the issue (that happened at the same day), just to keep you posted, but now Staff has sent us the updated version.

Therefore, the attached documents are: (i) the updated version of the working definitions and (ii) the WHOIS Study Hypothesis Chart, with the occurrence of the working definitions dully highlighted. That could help us to see the context in which each definition is used.

NCUC is expected to provide some input on those definitions for our next WHOIS call on January 21st. The staff has asked the constituencies to provide some information in advance, if possible up to January 16th.

Of course other changes can be proposed even during the call (we have proposed some last time around), but it would be nice if you could take a look at the document and provide us with some feedback on such terms.

Being said that, please disregard the document I sent to the list on January 7th and consider the one attached as the valid and updated working definitions for the WHOIS Studies. It seems to me that the current definitions (such "misuse" and "undesirable activities") may deal with a couple of subjects that are very much related to NCUC´s core issues.

Best,
Carlos

-----Mensagem original-----
De: owner-gnso-whois-dt at icann.org em nome de Liz Gasster
Enviada: sex 9/1/2009 21:54
Para: gnso-whois-dt at icann.org
Assunto: [gnso-whois-dt] Updated draft "working defintions" for WHOIS and cross-references to study hypotheses attached

All,

Attached please find two documents, as follows:

1.       Highlighted chart of WHOIS hypotheses:  I highlighted each instance in our chart of study hypotheses where the terms we are defining are actually used, so that you can see the context in which each term is being applied.  The chart is simply a cut-and-paste from the final hypotheses list in our 26 August WHOIS hypotheses report.

2.       Updated list of working definitions. Please note that I have updated this since my previous email in two respects.  First, I have added the study numbers where the terms are used so you can hopefully more easily find them and read them in context.  Second, I want to highlight comments that I've added in-line for two of the terms: "undesirable content" which I think should be changed to "illegal or undesirable activities"  and "adequate protective measures", which is alternately referred to in various hypotheses as "(roughly) effective technical measures", "effective methods" and "adequate corrective measures".  In my comments I suggest a new, streamlined definition for "illegal or undesirable activities" which can be discussed further on the list and at the next meeting.

Please encourage input from your constituencies and ACs.  These revised documents, along with explanation, will also be forward to the liaison/constituency lists as well.

Thanks, Liz