Community Travel support Procedure for Mexico City

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sat Jan 10 18:27:00 CET 2009

Thanks for forwarding this, Bill.  There is one significant
improvement in this proposed travel policy from the staff: we can
split the airfare and hotel between 2 different people if that works
best (it was an all or nothing policy before).

But there is also one difference that burdens recipients: now ICANN
staff is saying the participant will have to front their own "per
diem" expenses and only after the participant submits a report and
attendance records are checked will the per diem be transfered.
(Before the per diem was given a few days ahead of the meeting to
ensure the participant can meet expenses on the ground at the time
they are incurred.)  This was not a change the GNSO recommended, but
something ICANN staff is trying to impose on us.  I hope the proposed
change will be brought to the attention of Counsel and resisted.

Thanks,
Robin

On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:57 AM, William Drake wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Per Cheryl's request, below is the message on the travel policy.
> Sorry I didn't send it before, busy and losing track of things.
> The message arrived just before the council took up the matter
> Thursday, so it was a bit of surprise to at least some of us who
> were expecting something different, e.g the simpler and more bottom
> up approach  endorsed by the council in December.  Several people
> expressed opposition and asked Olga to convey their concerns to the
> group working on it. In addition, there have subsequently been
> requests on the GNSO list, including from us (Carlos), for staff
> clarification as to what happened and why.  So it's not entirely
> clear to me what the status is now, whether we are awaiting a
> revision or should act on the basis of the below.  Nevertheless, we
> are supposed to turn in the list of funding requests ASAP.
>
> Maybe someone here is closer to this process and can elaborate?
>
> Best,
>
> Bill
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Denise Michel" <michel.denise at gmail.com>
>> Date: January 8, 2009 9:13:58 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>, liaison6c
>> <liaison6c at gnso.icann.org>
>> Subject: [council] Fwd: Community Travel support Procedure for
>> Mexico City

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org