ICANN SOI to fill sham noncommercial council seats

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Thu Aug 6 09:07:30 CEST 2009

At 7:48 AM +0100 6/8/09, Rebecca MacKinnon wrote:
>It's highly unfortunate and disappointing.
>
>Nonetheless, should we encourage NCUC community members to step up for
>this, particularly members who come from countries in the developing
>world and/or from countries which do not have free and fair elections,
>and thus whose governments (and by extension GAC representatives)
>arguably do not represent citizens' interests?
>
>The alternative it seems is that it would be filled with people
>currently unknown to the NCUC community.
>
>They want diversity, we show them we have it?

	In my opinion, we should nominate as many people as we can,
from as many different groups as we can (certainly including, but not
limited to, members from the developing world, and from countries
whose GAC representatives may not represent them well).
	We have basically no idea what criteria the SIC will be using
to select candidates, and it is in our interest to nominate people
that cover as many bases as possible. We should be putting up people
from a range of backgrounds, from a range of countries, to maximise
our chances that these seats will go to someone sympathetic to NCUC.
	Cheers
		David