ICANN SOI to fill sham noncommercial council seats

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Thu Aug 6 09:37:56 CEST 2009

Why not compromise.  Attempt to restart a process
where the SIC and NCUC charters are considered
side by side.

The NCUC has three council seats.

The NCUC does not have membership (or significant
membership) from international consumer
organizations (noted in many recent comments from
the board and others as a missing constituent in
all of ICANN), nor for the largest academic
communities, libraries, R&D, etc.  So why not
accept the interim and offer to work with the
board to help identify possible candidates from
such groups, and to try and bring those groups
into the NCUC or to encourage them to form a
constituency (as consumer groups seem to be
trying to do, can NCUC help them?)

And then look to negotiate differences between
the charters.  Can we accept that councillors
could be selected through a hybrid constituency
based model, where a general membership selects a
slate which is then voted on by constituencies in
an Executive Committee? (just an idea...) And at
the same time emphasize that policy must be
developed in a bottom-up fashion at the
stakeholder-wide level.  Can we come up with
specific rule based criteria for the creation of
new constituencies (no one will apply to the
vague process in the SIC charter, it is no better
than what we've had since the GNSO was created.)

I think we were set back from discussing workable
compromises when the SIC draft was put forward
and the NCUC draft effectively taken off from
discussion.  Ours and the community's responses
were made to the SIC draft, but we did not
discuss and modify in response to comments the
NCUC draft. Where there was criticism of the NCUC
draft was on the static position of some months
ago.

I have heard some people assert that the NCUC has
never shown any willingness to compromise from
its criticism of anything that it hadn't written,
yet claiming that the NCUC documents were still
open to negotiation -- so a public attempt to
engage in negotiation would at least put this to
the test.

Think there are two options: some form of appeal
to the Board's decisions, i.e. reconsideration,
obmudsman (who has the power to open all kinds of
email trails, discover what documents were
presented, what was said), or independent review.
Or more sensible, offer to negotiate, offer some
compromise.

Adam (not on behalf of GLOCOM NCUC member, or
ALAC of which I a member.  Purely personal
observation.)