Request for Constituency Statement from NCUC on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Policy Development Process

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Aug 19 21:20:27 CEST 2009

Dear All,

We should develop a constituency statement to submit to the newly
forming working group on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery.
We need volunteers to join this new working group and volunteer to
take the lead in developing NCUC's position on this policy matter.
Anyone can join and all are invited.  In particular, anyone who has
had difficulty recovering an expired domain name should please
participate and help bring your experience to the policy development
forum.    The deadline for constituency statements to the new working
group is 18 Sept. but we should begin to pull together volunteers to
come up with a draft now.   See the details below.

Please let me know if you'd like to volunteer to work on this
issue.   Thank you!

Best,
Robin

---------------------------------------

Constituency Input Template

Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Policy Development Process

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESPONSE AT THE LATEST BY FRIDAY 18 SEPTEMBER TO
THE PEDNR WG (gnso-pednr-dt at icann.org)

The GNSO Council has formed a Working Group of interested
stakeholders and Constituency representatives, to collaborate broadly
with knowledgeable individuals and organizations, in order to
consider recommendations for best practices as well as or instead of
recommendations for Consensus Policy to address a number of questions
related to post-expiration domain name recovery.

Part of the working group’s effort will be to incorporate ideas and
suggestions gathered from Constituencies through this Constituency
Statement. Inserting your Constituency’s response in this form will
make it much easier for the Working Group to summarize the
Constituency responses. This information is helpful to the community
in understanding the points of view of various stakeholders. However,
you should feel free to add any information you deem important to
inform the working group’s deliberations, even if this does not fit
into any of the questions listed below.

For further background information on this issue, please review the
GNSO Issues Report on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery.

Process

-       Please identify the members of your constituency who
participated in developing the perspective(s) set forth below.

-       Please describe the process by which your constituency
arrived at the perspective(s) set forth below.

Questions

Please provide your constituency’s views on:

1.     Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem
their expired domain names;

2.     Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration
agreements are clear and conspicuous enough;

3.     Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of
upcoming expirations;

4.     Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate
that once a domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has
expired (e.g., hold status, a notice on the site with a link to
information on how to renew, or other options to be determined);

5.     Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the
Redemption Grace Period (RGP).

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Date: August 19, 2009 3:51:51 AM PDT
> To: Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
> Cc: William Drake <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch>, Mary Wong
> <MWong at piercelaw.edu>
> Subject: Request for Constituency Statements from the NCUC
>

> Dear Robin,
>

> Attached please find a request for constituency statements on the
> Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Policy Development Process
> (PDP) .
>

> A template is provided for the response as it is easier for the
> Working Group to summarize the Constituency responses. However,
> please inform the members that they should feel free to add any
> information they deem important to inform the working group’s
> deliberations, even if this does not fit into any of the questions
> listed  on the template
>

> Please note that the deadline for the responses  is  Friday,  18
> September 2009.
>
> If there is not a member of the working group  who can submit the
> response directly to the mailing list (gnso-pednr-dt at icann.org),
>

> Thanks you very much.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Glen
>
> Glen de Saint Géry
>
> GNSO Secretariat
>
> gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
>
> http://gnso.icann.org

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org