LAST CALL for DOODLING NCUC August Monthly Constituency Meeting (10-16 August)

Rebecca MacKinnon rebecca.mackinnon at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 4 11:02:50 CEST 2009

Sorry I will be unable to make any meeting next week as I will be off the
grid.
I'd like to make one suggestion, however, as NCUC's membership grows to
include more and more people not living in Western developed
countries. Global Voices, which has regular online meetings with community
members and editors all over the world, has generally stuck to IRC because
holding meetings with anything that takes up more bandwith ended up acting
as a barrier to participation for people joining from slow or unreliable
connections in far-flung corners of the globe. The lesson that we have taken
from almost 5 years trying to run an international grassroots media
organization in as inclusive a manner as possible is that inclusiveness
requires defaulting to meeting technologies that are accessible to those
whose bandwith is lowest and who may be running old operating systems - or
not using MacOS or Windoze.

Some people tried to join last time but had problems: some because they
couldn't get the conferencing software to work, and others because their
Internet connections were not high speed enough to hear the audio discussion
clearly. Isaac Mao's connectivity that day in Shanghai was bad, and he could
only see the text chat- he couldn't make out anything that was being said
vocally, which meant he couldn't follow the discussion properly or
participate meaningfully. As we get more members who are joining from places
where Internet connectivity may not be as reliable as it is in North America
and Western Europe (where even some of us have been having bandwith
problems) I suggest that somebody should volunteer to post a continuous
running text summary of what's being said in the audio discussion into the
text chat box - so that people who can't hear can still participate. Either
that or switch to text-only if too many people are having problems with your
current system.

Best,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca MacKinnon
Open Society Fellow | Co-founder, GlobalVoicesOnline.org

UK: +44-7759-863406
USA: +1-617-939-3493
HK: +852-6334-8843
Mainland China: +86-13710820364