Cairo minutes responses and discussion points

Mary Wong mwong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Thu Nov 6 00:32:44 CET 2008

Cheryl, thank you for your notes and comments, which I hope will help move our discussions forward. In fairness, however, and for the benefit of those who were not at the meeting or who are new to our group, I feel obliged to clarify certain points, as follows:

1. The minutes are intended to be a factual report on what was actually said and done at the meeting, and not as a memorandum initiating further discussion points. This is why explanations and background/context are not included in the minutes. That is the function of this listserv, your additional comments and Milton's questions.

2. I must emphasize to everyone not present that no votes on any of the substantive issues we are now discussing were taken at the meeting. If I conveyed that impression by using phrases such as "the group agrees", I apologize. That kind of phrase was rather more intended to give the sense (which I feel was accurate) that nobody had any disagreement or objection in principle to that specific point (or at least none were expressed). Where there was disagreement on specific issues, I believe I noted that there was no consensus among those present.

3. Although Harald and Roberto were not speaking "for the Board" (a point that I tried to capture through as accurate a description of each of their comments as possible, which I attributed to the specific speaker), I believe that their visit was, in fact, on the Board's behalf (not in their personal capacities) and as such can fairly and accurately be described as a visit by representatives of the Board. As their comments are, as you noted, very important for us to take into account going forward, I want to make this clear to those who were not present at our meeting.

Thanks again for the additional comments, which as I said will help move our discussions forward. I look forward to hearing the views of members on these important questions.

Cheers
Mary

>>> Cheryl Preston <PRESTONC at LAWGATE.BYU.EDU> 11/05/08 11:54 AM >>>
Attached are my comments about what was discussed at the Cairo meeting, part I.  I raise several discussion issues.  I will send part II when it is finished.

Thanks,

Cheryl B. Preston
Edwin M. Thomas
Professor of Law