Meeting notes from ALAC-NCUC joint meeting in New Delhi

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 29 17:19:20 CET 2008

Robin, Norbert and all:

Reading these notes, I think we need to be much clearer with ALAC on
what our policy concerns are with respect to fast-track IDN ccTLDs.

There are two main concerns:
1) different standards for ccNSO-created IDN TLDs and gNSO-created IDN
TLDs. This creates a discriminatory policy environment which might favor
one group over the other, or could be gamed by clever participants.
2) competition policy concerns about reinforcing national monopoly
registries by giving them one or more new IDNs in advance of new
entrants into the market.

I did not see those concerns expressed in the ALAC meeting. Hope we can
be clearer about this in the future. The first concern has pretty big
name space management implications; Avri Doria has expressed a lot of
concern about this and I am not sure what her thinking is about how
things are going. the second issue is also very important, although
those concerns were addressed somewhat by the estimate that country code
IDNs might actually take longer to be assigned than generic IDNs. (Why
that would be I don't know).

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org <http://internetgovernance.org/>

	Meeting notes from ALAC-NCUC joint meeting in New Delhi
	 (provided by Nick Aston Hart of ICANN)

https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?summary_minutes_12_february_2008_nc