NCUC statement on new gTLDs

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Dec 14 18:37:42 CET 2008

Konstantinos:

This statement is good, thanks for doing it. My suggestions:
(incorporated into the edited version attached):

1)       we need to make clear at the beginning that free expression has
not been adequately recognized as a rights claim.

2)       I would like to put the Morality and Public Order section ahead
of the trademark section to reflect constituency priorities. But others
may not agree with that.

3)       Would like to begin the discussion of incitement by noting the
dangers of content regulation.

4)       I think you spend too much time on the CoE terrorism statement,
which advances a view that most of us don't agree with and which is not
applicable international law anyway. It would be better to make a more
general argument that incitement cannot be done via a gTLD string.

Let me also point out that individual members can file their own
comments, and I would encourage you to do so, even if they agree
substantially with these, as it has more impact.

Thanks, K!