Urgent: your response needed

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 18 16:07:19 CEST 2007

Alan,

not to discuss your vote, but just one question and a comment on
your comment:

i) when you say the current system is working, do you mean the
specifications of whois database are operable, or that icann
registrar contracts are enforceable everywhere as it requires?
(by the way, I'm not sure which are those 15 countries that have
the privilege to lead the global internet policy).

ii) be aware that the kind of records you report in your message
has the particularity to make law enforcement and intellectual
property folks nervous. in marrakesh, i asked the US consumer
protection commissioner whether they will be ok with registrars
and domain name retailers (e.g., yahoo) offering to shield
registrant's information for a fee, and he said they'd be very
concerned if that business model keeps developing. the problem I
personally have with that model is, you don't only pay on per
registrant basis but for each name you register (so you pay 10
times for 10 names registered even if your contact information
is strictly the same in the 10 cases.)

Anyway, I don't see that model representing any consensus so
far; maybe if it changes to one-time fee per registrant and for
the duration of registration or renewal, then perhaps individual
users may weigh in on that side.
best,

mawaki