Lisbon meetings: important notes

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Thu Mar 22 19:23:16 CET 2007

At 9:36 AM -0400 3/21/07, Milton Mueller wrote:
>For those of you going to Lisbon:
>
>At 11:00 on Tuesday, during our constituency meeting, Board candidate
>Bruce Tonkin will come to visit us. Bruce is the current chair of the
>GNSO Council and is a candidate for the GNSO Board seat. The opportunity
>to meet with him will be invaluable so I urge you to be there.

Bruce is *the* candidate for the board seat, so unless there are a
majority of abstains, I think he's the next board member.

Very interested to hear his comments on IDNs.  If he thinks ICANN
should do more to bring in language communities into the policy
discussions. GNSO seem's a little too English speaking/western to be
discussing issues that'll primarily impact non-English
speaking/non-western people.

>At 5:00 on that day, we have (tentatively!) scheduled a joint meeting
>with ALAC, to discuss the LSE report and the general topic of Civil
>Society integration within ICANN. The 5:00 time is still tentative
>because of the complexities of ALAC at the moment, but I should know the
>answer by the time we meet Tuesday morning.

Something about this bothers me -- seems to be an assumption that
ALAC represents civil society/non-profit interests so there's a
natural partnership with NCUC.  Most current members of the ALAC are
civil society oriented (and many of us know them well and work with
them in other activities), but I am not convinced it's healthy for
ALAC to align itself with one sector.  Users are business people,
civil servants, anyone (every-woman).   But I guess it's up to ALAC
to decide if user = non-commercial.

Civil Society and NGO/NPO interests are most definitely under
represented in ICANN.  But it's not clear to me that ALAC is or
should be defining itself as representatives of this non-profit
sector.  But this a discussion for ALAC lists not NCUC perhaps.

>Additionally, I am trying to arrange informal meetings with other
>constituencies -- especially the registrars & registries -- to discuss
>the next steps in the Whois policy. Contact me in Lisbon for news of
>those meetings.

I would like to try and join this.

Thanks,

Adam