group forming on IDN policy statements

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 13 06:00:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'd volunteer to take this up if I wasn't on the job market
since last May 15, in addition to the demanding assignments and
worries of a doctoral student and the usual business of the GNSO
council. So what I would suggest instead (as far as I'm
concerned) is a paid job description as follows, to which we
could add the participation to the group for IDN policy issues
on behalf on NCUC.

The timeframe for this job will vary depending on whether we
hold the IDN workshop in LA (Nov. 2007) or later in Asia-Pacific
(Feb. 2008), which would seem more auspicious due to expected US
visa difficulties and the target public of linguistic diversity
(you may want to provide your opinion about this.) In any event
this job would terminate with the IDN workshop.

I wish to submit this proposal for consideration by the
Executive Committee.

Regards,

Mawaki

JOB PROPOSAL

1) Outreach for identification and "recruitment" of future
possible candidate representatives and members of NCUC.

2) IDN workshop at the next ICANN meeting in Asia-Pacific &
fundraising

The GNSO has undertaken a policy development process for future
gTLDs to be introduced in the DNS. That PDP, initiated in
December 2005, includes a component on Internationalized Domain
Names. A Working Group was formed by the GNSO Council in order
to develop the specific policy provisions that are relevant for
IDNs. That WG completed its work in February 2007, which is
intended to be integrated to the final report of the
PDP-December 05. The PDP report, including the policy
recommendations,  should be transmitted to the Board about a
month before the LA meeting in late October, time during which
the Board will solicit public comments. Meanwhile, the IDN
testing by ICANN is coming to a close, so that it is expected
that by the end of 2007 ICANN will be prepared to implement IDN.

An IDN workshop would be timely in order to disseminate
and raise awareness about ICANN relevant policies regarding
future TLDs including IDNs. Potential sponsors will be contacted
in order to support the event.

Tasks:
- Contact possible sponsors, such as MINC, KRNIC, etc.
- Contact possible speakers
- Draft an agenda
- Draft an announcement
- Advertise through various channels (web sites, email lists,
and individual email messages)
- Follow up with the sponsors and make sure they honor their
commitment
- Follow up with the speakers and make sure they honor their
commitment
- Final advertisement and reminder to bring more participants

3) Feed information for Website update

This item will ensure that information identified as important
or useful for possible future reference be communicated to the
NCUC web site manager in order to feed the content development
of the constituency web site.
Furthermore, as individuals who hold responsibilities in, or on
behalf of, the constituency and other active member
representatives experience ICANN processes, it might be useful
to keep a record of some lessons learnt and build a knowledge
base for the constituency.

Task:
- Continuous forwarding of the relevant information or materials
to the Web site manager.

4) Meeting coordination (conference calls)
The constituency has decided to have a regular conference call
every month. In order to ensure participation by member
representatives, it is necessary to maintain communication with
the constituency members, and if necessary individual
representatives.

Tasks:
- call for agenda item proposals
- draft the agenda
- set the time for the phone call
- Send reminders to the list and call for participation

Issues"(http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-09jul07.htm