Candidates for NCUC Chair

Iliya Nickelt iliya at GMX.DE
Sun Jan 7 22:00:08 CET 2007

On 2 Jan 2007 at 11:25, Frannie Wellings wrote:

> I think in order to proceed with this discussion we need to consider
> our personnel resources.
[...]
> - Iliya Nickelt

@Chair:
Thanks for the nomination! I do actually feel honoured. But no, at the
moment it is really difficult for me to do half of the things I want to,
so I do not have the time necessary for NCUC, and this will not change
for the near future. (Unfortunately I do something relatively different
for living [astrophysics], where synergie effects are not so large).
For chair matters I would estimate about four weeks per year minimum of
ICANN work -- maybe next decade.
(One funny aspect of it, however, would be that with Annette Mühlberg as
ALAC chair we would run all non-commercial ICANN activity from Berlin.
But even that cannot convince me).

There are a number of positive aspects for choosing a chair candidate
from some less frequented region. However, my main concern is that we
need someone who is dedicated to do the work and able to spend as much
time as necessary for that. Unfortunately I could not read of any
massively motivated candidates (yet?) who step forward and are keen on
becoming chair no matter what the workload may be. Therefore I, too, very
much second Milton's nomination.

@European member of the EC:
Now to the next position: As has already been mentioned I have been the
European EC member for three years and the charter does not allow me to
run again. Which is good, not only because I wasn't as productive as I
wanted to be. More importantly rotation is a good way to improve member
activity and avoid certain problems of "closed shop politics" (for a
closer definition of what I mean by "problems", see the US senate).

So who wants to become EC member for the next years (European or
otherwise)? Here is a job description: Read as much of the NCUC list as
you can (and of some other lists, maybe), answer your email regularly and
participate at a skype conference before each ICANN meeting (or have some
intense email exchange). Knowledge of the NCUC and ICANN charters is a
plus. Always quiz the treasurer (if there is one) about our current funds
and say "but we cannot afford that" as often as you can. Payment is
moderate (0$ per year), but it will be doubled with each consecutive year
that you stay. And sometimes you can participate at ICANN meetings where
they sometimes serve free coffee. But your colleagues are actually very
nice. Oh, and definitely try to approve (or decline!) the grants at
earlier dates than the last EC.

We are already far behind shedule, so some initiative would be good for
the constituency. For Europe, as far as I can see, our elite group of
members consist of EENet from Estonia, and Internews International and
GIP Renater from France. Please correct me if I forgot someone. Is one of
those three willing to give it a try? (Danny Vandromme has at least
recently shown that he is still out there -- willing to return? We need
someone, you know.)

Best regards from Europe,

	--iliya