[Fwd: robin, one question for new gTLD introduction]

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Feb 16 01:51:52 CET 2007

As for an update on the new gTLD policy development process, its a
critical time.

Some members of the task force and policy council will meet in LA next
week to discuss the draft final report on the policy recommendations for
the introduction of new generic top level domains (gTLDs).
(Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the LA meetings because I was
already ticketed to be in Bangalore on those dates). The new gTLD policy
is one of several issues that will be discussed at the LA meetings.

I am currently drafting some "alternative language" that can be
introduced at this meeting to try to reform the existing draft
recommendations that are so restrictive of speech and are modeled on an
ancient trademark treaty.

It is very possible that the GNSO Council will vote on the draft report
(& the alternative language) at the late March Lisbon Board meeting. So
we don't have a lot of time to garner support for reforming the
recommendations. But the current draft is so repugnantly censorious and
burdensome for ICANN that most are opposed to it - once they actually
hear what it proposes. So we as a constituency have to do a lot of
education and awareness raising on this issue. And I'm searching for
more volunteers to work on this policy development process. The
consequences of this policy are enormous for freedom of expression on
the Internet, so I'm a little puzzled why more haven't volunteered to
work on this issue yet. But now would be a most welcome time also.

One idea is that the NCUC could issue a press release on the issue and
we could each work in our own corners of the globe to publicize the
issue with the press release and other efforts. What do others think? We
also need to emphasize that the GAC principles are not nearly as
restrictive as the draft recommendations, so arguments that "we have to
do this because the GAC wants it," simply aren't true.

Here is more background:

This is the website for the new gTLD policy development issue at ICANN:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/

This is the draft policy that we want to change:
*WORKING DOCUMENT: DRAFT GNSO Recommendation Summary - Introduction of
New Generic Top-Level Domains
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/recom-summary-14sep06.htm>* (14
September 2006)
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/recom-summary-14sep06.htm

This is NCUC's position on the policy:
http://www.ipjustice.org/ICANN/NCUC_Comments_on_New_gTLDs.pdf

another NCUC paper on the policy:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/ncuc-01feb06.pdf

Thanks! I look forward to hearing what other NCUC'ers think we should
do. And if anyone is willing to donate some energy to this issue in the
coming months, please let me know.

Best,
Robin