Fwd: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] comments on expert advice

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Sep 25 16:31:38 CEST 2006

I know Andy. He's no stooge of Cade. He probably would end up agreeing
more with me on TLD issues than with her. As indeed would any decent
economist. That, in fact was my point: not that I should be called in as
a witness, but that there are already numerous instances of experts
weighing in on these issues, and they have ALL been critical of the
"beaty contest" approach, yet in the political hothouse of ICANN we
continue to back beauty contests. Name one article by an expert
economist or political scientist that supports TLD beauty contests --
none of them do, including the report funded by the DoC and NSF itself!

>>> Danny Younger <dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM> 9/20/2006 3:13:18 PM >>>
Horacio,

Allow me to supply some background on the issue of
"experts".  Per PDP guidelines, the Contractual
Conditions Task Force put out a "Call for Experts" in
early April:

"ICANN and the GNSO are interested in seeking the
views of a range of different experts, in addition to
hearing from its formal Constituencies and seeking
public comments through the ICANN website.  We would
be grateful if you could submit an expert opinion on
any or all of the items set out in the response
template below."
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-11apr06.htm

No expert comments were submitted.

Not surprising, as most "experts" don't spend their
time perusing the GNSO website on a daily basis.

Three months later, the BC's Marilyn Cade begins
asserting that expert commentary is needed from
competition and anti-trust authorities.  She puts
forward a series of names including that of Dr. Andrew
Odlyzko, University of Minn., USA.

Prior to assuming a position at the University of
Minnesota in 2001, Dr. Odlyzko devoted 26 years to
research and research management at Bell Telephone
Laboratories, AT&T Bell Labs, and AT&T Labs.
http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/bio.html

This renewed call for experts is nothing more than a
thinly disguised attempt to buttress the views of the
BC.

If the TF accepts commentary from Dr. Odlyzko, then it
should certainly equally accept commentary from Milton
Mueller.