NCUC Policy Discussion Document

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Thu Oct 19 14:40:33 CEST 2006

At 11:02 AM -0400 10/18/06, Milton Mueller wrote:
>  >>> ( Adam Peake <ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP> 10/18/06 7:32 AM >>>
>
>>Afilias seems to be doing just fine), but on ISOC's promises of what
>>it would do with the cash it received from ORG registrants.  I think
>>we should be requiring a review of whether those promises have been
>>met, to the same standard we would promises of technical performance.
>>Then they get their renewal.
>
>Adam, that is exactly what a presumptive renewal policy does. If they
>perform as promised, the incumbent gets the renewal. If they don't, then
>you have a rebid.

OK, then I am likely misunderstanding the meaning of "presumption",
the difference between

1/ by default we accept your doing what you said you would unless it
is contested by a third party.
and,
2/ we will put in checks and balance to ensure you're doing what you
said you'd do.

The first is what I thought "presumptive renewal" meant in practise.
And as this is ICANN I much prefer the second which has more active
safeguards.

However, if this is agreed NCUC policy then so be it. My comments are
too late -- never mind.

Thanks,

Adam